A piece for my Grandad

  Grandad Mills. This is who he was. A man who appreciated life and everybody in it right until the very end and he taught me to appreciate this too. He would constantly say what a wonderful life he has had and what a credit his friends and family are to him and his memories (of which I can pretty much recite off by heart)! His memory was something else. The stories he told from sixty years ago, although repeated most times we saw him, were never wrongly recited. Every detail, from the exact place to what he was wearing that day, was included. It’s who he was. He had so much energy and was most definitely the fittest 89-year-old I knew. I remember being shocked once when I was playing football in the garden and Grandad came running up dribbling the ball then scored. He must have been in his late 70s at this point. Amazing, but it’s who he was. He was a man of extreme intelligence and independence and sometimes as stubborn as a Mule. “Grandad you’re a bit too old to be cutting your own lawn” So, what does he do? Mow the lawn, empty the flower beds, refill the flower beds, cook, wash, iron, go to Sainsbury’s, drive down a pedestrian lane - all in a day’s work. Then he wonders why he slept the following day and felt totally shattered. “Grandad you’re almost 90, just sit and watch the bloody football”. But it’s who he was. One striking characteristic was his smart appearance, always. Everybody commented on it and still do. He used to say that no matter how Joyce felt, she always put on her lipstick. Well, Grandad, I never saw him without a tie – I’ve seen his collection, he had loads! He’d dress as if he was going to a wedding just to grab a daily mail from the shop! In fact, even in hospital he was still so desperate to look smart, clean and shaven for when the doctors did their rounds. That’s the way he was. Christmases won’t be the same without his games (which he spent most of the year preparing) and his funny moments when he’d break into song or tell us how he laughed so hard once that he blacked out. That is who he was. A generous man too, always bearing small gifts throughout the year. My weekly present was a punnet of grapes and a ‘YOU’ magazine (which I never had the heart to tell him that I didn’t actually read.) But it’s who he was.

  My most treasured memory is one of my last where I got Grandad’s ‘My Yesterday’s’ bound and gave it to him. I’m sure you’ve all heard about his ‘My Yesterday’s’. His face was something I will never forget. Full of happiness and gratefulness and pride. I want to end with the final paragraph of this book because it’s beautiful and it’s his words and they were so special. It’s who he was. So here it is, written by my amazing Grandad:

  ‘Now I feel that I must come to the end of “My Yesterdays” and I have no intention of continuing with “My Today’s”. The end came and was inevitable, with sorrow, great sorrow, but with the knowledge that I did my best and believing that all the good things you do in the World for other people are rewarded. Perhaps you don’t recognise the rewards because they do not come in material benefits. It might be a good feeling or the experience of just having a day when everything is going your way. In my ageing years I have no regrets, my conscience is clear and my Grandchildren are my rewards. To them I say, enjoy your lives and be honourable to yourselves. Enjoy the talents that you have inherited. I can recognise your inheritance left to you all, every day. When each Christmas comes around I write to my living friends a summary of your achievements and progress, and reflect that when I get a hug from one of you I feel like a millionaire. So be it, saying to you all, enjoy your lives, work hard and be honest to yourself, and “May a mouse never leave your cupboard with a tear in his eye.”



Love Chas x’

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Now to do what I do best, drink 4 bottles of Chablis and flash my freckly bangers" - The Windsor's

Music grounds you wherever you go.

Merry Fauxmas and a Happy New Year!