University in a Nutshell

  As a third year student who is gradually getting more and more terrified about post-uni/ real adult life, I thought this is an appropriate topic for a new post! Reminiscing the amazing years I've had, whilst trying desperately to hold onto the little time that we have left!


  I began in 2014, a fresher who had very little experience of the North - this concept that you get half way up the A1 and you're in new territory, a different country almost. I remember driving to York with my Mum, car full to the brim and a very tearful face on my part due to beginning a scary stage of life like no other. I was shitting it! I knew absolutely nobody and I was going to be moving in that day with four total strangers! We stopped at a service station for a bite to eat and I remember starting off again because everybody had a northern accent! Where were all the Suffolk twangs of farmer speak? It was so different and just didn't feel like home.


  After Mum had left, I sat in my prison-like room with bare walls and began to make it my own. I filled every inch of the biggest notice board I have ever seen with pictures and covered every other aspect with owls. After about an hour and a half, my room was complete, my face looked a bit more human and I was ready to embrace the student life. Of course, as with everything in my life, I was worrying unnecessarily and my house mates were lovely. After a few pints, I was anybody's friend and as soon as I heard the student night Jager bomb prices I was winning. First year was filled with drunken 90s nights, the discovery of chips and gravy, regularly popping out for one pint that ended up being ten, finding out that you attended uni for just half the year, the other half is an excuse to say 'I'm a student' and do not a lot, a few crap grades but the realisation that there are wonderful people everywhere you go and by May I certainly had made some friends for life.


  Second year was the best. I began knowing I had a solid unit of great friends who loved to drink, be stupid, sing to cheesy songs every night and eat crap equally as much as me and I was excited for what the year had in store. It also had a bonus knowing that when the year was out, we still had a whole other year to do it all again. It was not over yet! We were living in a shared house which meant an obligatory Christmas dinner which went fully to plan and our landlord was lovely giving us Prossecco to enjoy with this. We knew bars to go to and ones to avoid and generally had the best time! The only downside to second year was the speed at which is flashed by. Before we knew it it was May and time to head home for summer, which also went by before I could drink my coffee.


  Now third year, fuck. The scariest one yet. The point at which you realise how much you've loved every minute, even move in day, and how much you don't want it to end. The point you just know how much you're going to miss seeing all your amazing friends every day and bumping into randomly on nights out when both sufficiently sloshed. The nights and days where you actually do nothing but they are so much fun because you feel like true students and you're spending them with the best kind of people. The constant desperation to fit in absolutely everything this year, do everything and go everywhere in the north, always wanting something to look forward to knowing that you're not wasting the little time you have left. The constant reminder to your friends that they best keep in touch and meet up regularly because the thought of your life without them just sucks and you feel as though you've known them forever. And the need to drink as often and much as possible and do student-y things because you know that this isn't (apparently) acceptable in adulthood.


  So now I'll leave you because our SU opens tonight and there ain't nowhere you'll find pints for £1 anywhere other than University, so I hope you've enjoyed my summary and I wish I could do it all over again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Now to do what I do best, drink 4 bottles of Chablis and flash my freckly bangers" - The Windsor's

Music grounds you wherever you go.

Merry Fauxmas and a Happy New Year!