Australia Part 2: slumming it in Sydney and a quick luxury and lovely stay in Adelaide


I've realised that it's not until you go back into civilisation for more than three nights that you notice quite how awful backpackers can be. We stayed at Base throughout New Zealand without any problems, but Sydney showed them all. The bathroom was gross, so much so that I didn't want to shower for fear that it'd make me dirtier. Trust me, it was that bad. The place was like a maze, making you feel trapped and it lacked any atmosphere too. This is before I mention the bar attached and my experience there. 

We'd had a lovely afternoon walking around Sydney and the weather was great making this even more pleasant. Another of our Kiwi Experience friends was heading home so after a chill with him and the farewells, we continued more of a mooch before coming back to get ready for my friends birthday night out. While purchasing 'goon' at the local bottlo, the guy working told us a great shop to get cheap cups. We entered and were in our element as it was everything you'd want in a party shop. Every fancy dress costume you could think of and all the accessories including $1 party hats which we purchased of course. 

So, we took our 4 litre box of goon, an Aussie slang term for cheap wine (who knows what's in it), and went back to the lower than average hostel to get ready. My friend was staying in an all girls corridor which had straighteners and mirrors so obviously this was the place where we got our glad rags on while drinking goon too fast. The next drinking spot was my other friends room where we played card games, put on all the left over Halloween costumes and got stuck into this birthday night. Around ten we headed to the bar where we acted completely sober and got in. Easy. 

It was so much fun, we were dancing away and everyone was loving life. The drinks were cheap, the tequila shots had been consumed and I was heading back to the dance floor with a full glass of gin and tonic when I was pulled aside by the bouncer. I mean, I felt a bit tidily but looking around (and I have witnesses to back me up) there were tonnes of people far more intoxicated than myself. The bouncer insisted though that I spoke with the manager. I just don't think they liked my outfit! Or this may have contributed to how drunk I must have looked to them. I had a nice chat with him and a horrifically patronising one with the manager, but I kept my cool thinking the entire time that they'd got the wrong girl. They told me to simply get some food which was "around the corner" then come back, not even allowing me to ring my friends inside to inform them.

I was disgusted and ended up getting entirely lost, almost breaking up a relationship purely by asking for directions and finally found my hostel two hours later. Sydney is a lovely city in the daytime and I'm sure there are loads of places to enjoy a civilised drink at night, but I was totally appalled at the lack of care the security had for allowing a young girl to roam the streets alone. Phew. Rant over.

Onwards and upwards, I ended my adventure with more luxury far away from backpackers in Adelaide. The greeting couldn't have been smoother as my friend waited for me at the bottom of the escalator, we headed to the baggage reclaim where my bag was coming round on the conveyer belt and off we went to enjoy a delicious stir fry and a few glasses of wine while catching up. My sleep that night trumped all my nights in backpackers altogether so I was more than ready for a day in the sunshine, wine tasting and a lovely BBQ. 

The first time I visited Adelaide three years ago we went to the Adelaide Hills wine region, this time we hit up McLaren Vale and I loved it. Sunshine, good company and an endless expanse of vineyards and greenery. We enjoyed multiple tastings and I got better at holding the liquid in my mouth before gulping it down. I don't drink to get drunk, I can be civilised - honest! As I mentioned, this wonderful day was topped off with a tasty BBQ at the end and it was lovely to spend time with old friends. 

Then came the final day of my three month adventure. A sad but happy day. The sun was shining thankfully so we headed to the beach for a brisk stroll in the sea breeze before having a delicious lunch looking out to the sea. I refrained from wearing shorts with it being my final day in Oz because the breeze was that bit too chilly but when I saw the temperatures due for the week, I didn't want to leave. This was followed by my final dog walk and ended with another koala sighting. A perfect way to end my time in this beautiful country. 

I've had the best time, met the most amazing people and caught up with some great friends making forever memories along the way. However, I am very excited to head home and see everybody back there.  Travelling is amazing and teaches you so much. I feel so lucky and grateful to have had this opportunity to explore and see so many incredible things but it is also pretty exhausting. I have twenty eight hours of travel time ahead of me and apart from waking for food, I plan to sleep for the majority of it. No doubt there will be more adventures to come but for now my travel days are paused and I'll continue to entertain you all with pieces about everyday things that crop up in my head. Hopefully you'll continue reading and some of you will be able to relate!

Things I've learnt:
-Sydney security is a joke
-but Sydney is a lovely city as well
-backpacker life defines slumming it (sometimes, not always)
-being in houses and civilisation is taken for granted massively
-Koalas are cute as
-I've had the most memorable and wonderful adventure
-I'm ready to come home


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Now to do what I do best, drink 4 bottles of Chablis and flash my freckly bangers" - The Windsor's

Music grounds you wherever you go.

Merry Fauxmas and a Happy New Year!