Music grounds you wherever you go.

More than once have I been asked the question 'would you rather be deaf or blind,' and I always, always answer - blind. Obviously I've never had to genuinely consider this as I'm lucky to have the gift of all of my senses and never would wish the loss of them on anybody, but my main reason for answering this question in such a way is down to music and the importance that it has in my life.

Not a day goes by when I don't listen to music. When I'm driving, while getting ready, while writing, on my walk to work, and many more. It features in my day to day life quite significantly and this is for all kinds of reasons.

Music gets me going. Upbeat tracks give me energy and put me in a happy mindset to begin each new day with. Whatever I might be driving to, whether it's a friends house or an important meeting, I will step out of that car having sang my heart out on the country roads and I will be feeling good about everything. It motivates me to write more, write better and provides inspiration for new ideas. Often when listening to the lyrics of songs is when I think about new topics to write about. So much truth can be found in lyrics, words in general, but song lyrics in particular. In the morning while I get ready for whatever I'm doing that day, music is always playing in the background and it doesn't leave me until it has to, when I remove my headphones on entering work so that people don't think I'm a stereotypical youthful yob. Even at work the radio is always on and when happy tunes play, I feel good and want to work harder.

Music helps me to remember. It's quite extraordinary how a song can take you back to that exact moment, place, memory. If ever I'm missing someone or something I know for certain that there will be a song that I attach to them or that moment. Currently my most common playlist of choice takes me back in time to the last few months on my travels. So many songs will always remind me of those amazing places that I visited and the great people I met. Some songs even take me back to exact scenarios that stand out and this is so comforting. It grounds you and no matter how far away you are in the world from those people or how many years ago those memories were, music has the ability to instantly take you back. There are songs that remind me of Uni, songs that take me back to my childhood and the wonderful family parties we hosted each year, songs that instantly bring up thoughts of bad times, but many that take me to the best places with the best people.

All in all music is a powerful tool and we are very lucky to have such a wide range to choose from. When in need it is one of the first things that I turn to because I find it so soothing, so reassuring, so real. So if you're yet to discover the power of music, which I'm sure only a few of you are, try it. Take a moment to listen to some of your favorite songs and enjoy the places it takes you to and the people it reminds you of.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Now to do what I do best, drink 4 bottles of Chablis and flash my freckly bangers" - The Windsor's

Merry Fauxmas and a Happy New Year!