'Lost Property Cupboard'

  I love reading- of course I do, I am just about to begin an English degree! A few weeks ago I was recommended an Author (Kate Atkinson) and leant her first book 'Behind the Scenes at the Museum'. Having just finished (and loved) it, I thought I would share with you one of the many weird and wonderful ideas of Ruby Lennox, the main character and narrator of the whole novel. 
 Ruby has a tough upbringing, but it's not all sad- her life gets better! Also, the way she tells it all is matter of fact and sometimes can make you chuckle( I won't go too much into details as you may want to read it).   

  One page, out of the 490 that I read, particularly stood out to me. A moment where she is discussing the end of the world and comes up with the 'Lost Property Cupboard'. A cupboard where 'every hair grip, every button...earring and key', all the little things that we lose on a daily basis in our lives, are kept, there waiting for us at the end. But the things that really grabbed my attention, was her mention of the lost time and memories, that too sometimes we forget. 

  Reading this page in the sunshine and peace of my own garden made me think; every memory we make, every second we spend with someone we love (friends, family, or just interesting people), is special, should be treasured, and never ever forgotten. Too often (particularly with the mass invasion of technology today: iPads, iPhones, Facebook, Twitter) are we absorbed in other worlds, worrying about other things, getting het up about trivial dramas,  when what we should actually be thinking of are the important things in life, and enjoying the very moment we are in, the people we are with, and making the most of the time we have. Remembering the times we've had and the people who we have shared them with, so that our 'Lost Property Cupboards' contain only the odd hair grip or pin, and nothing special is actually lost from our minds, because no matter how short life is, special people can live in our minds forever. 

  A quote I have seen about, and one of my favourites is "enjoy this moment, because this moment is your life"- quite frankly, I couldn't agree more! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Now to do what I do best, drink 4 bottles of Chablis and flash my freckly bangers" - The Windsor's

Music grounds you wherever you go.

Merry Fauxmas and a Happy New Year!