The Musical Experience

  So, being one of those people who lack talent in every aspect of musical theatre but having friends who are very successful in it, I've always admired the casts of musicals. Whether it's been in the West End or various theatres up and down the country or locally in Bury St Edmunds, I always love a trip to a musical. I come out after feeling so happy and usually attempting to sing all the songs, annoying people around me for days after due to a lack of singing capabilities on my part.

Image result for miss saigon 2014  Recently I went to see the 25th Anniversary performance of Miss Saigon which blew me away as it always does. I saw it live on stage in the West End last year but this was a recording of their 2014 performance and it was shown in the cinema. The fact it was a recording of a live performance did not make me any less impressed and I loved every minute despite welling up before anything sad had even happened - so moving. After the amazing performance was shown the finale topped it off where the original Kim played by the amazing Lea Salogna sang a duet of 'Movie in my Mind' with the current Gigi played by Marsha Songcome. I think I have watched this performance about twenty times since and it gets better each time I watch. Not to mention the added hilarity of the original Engineer played by Jonathon Pryce pairing up with the current Engineer to perform one of the best songs, American Dream. It was such a warming performance filled with so much talent.

Image result for blood brothers  A few weeks later (Tuesday just gone) I went to see a musical that I had never seen before and you'll all probably gasp at this fact but no, I had never seen Blood Brothers until this week - and I was most certainly missing out. Despite the fact that we turned up to find that pretty much the entire Grand Circle was taken up by a huge school group (why the teachers let themselves in for this I do not know) and we were sitting right behind them, we had good seats. The kids were the bratty kind at that age where they had to sit in the right seat, make their friends laugh by being prats and talk every freaking minutes - you know the type. After a lot of sh-ing from the teachers (I hate that sound) and a few movements of the naughty ones, the show began and we placed ourselves along a bit so we could see over the kids heads. I loved it. Laughed so much and thought the cast were awesome at the Scouse accent (though I have been attempting compete since)! I found it so cool how they had the same actors playing the characters from children to adults and they did it perfectly. Not to mention how well the character Mickey transformed from buzzing with energy to a depressed maniac. I thought the cast were fabulous and then came the ending...

  I won't spoil it for anyone planning on going to see it by my gosh the last song is a tearjerker. There was me welling up, a couple of tears rolling down my cheeks, the actress playing Mrs Johnston crying too but nobody cried quite as much as my friend who I went to see it with who sobbed "Harriet, where are the tissues" half way through. Another musical brilliantly done. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Now to do what I do best, drink 4 bottles of Chablis and flash my freckly bangers" - The Windsor's

Music grounds you wherever you go.

Successful Navigation and Ribblehead Viaduct