A Dog's Purpose

If you're reading this post and are yet to see the film, stop reading immediately and watch it. I won't give too much away but A Dog's Purpose is the perfect summary of the happiness and comfort that dogs bring to so many lives.

We've only ever had one dog in my lifetime at home, we've always been 'cat people'. They say you're either one or the other but I completely disagree. I have loved all the pets we've ever had and love the one and a half cats that are still with us, dearly. I say one and a half which kind of has two meanings. Lily was the runt of the litter so her growth is somewhat stunted and Frankie only decides to live with us for six months of the year, prancing around our village like he owns the place for the rest. Which one is the half can be up to you. Of course I love them, however I do understand why some people prefer dogs. When I come home, if I'm in a bad mood and need cheering up, though Lil will snuggle on my lap (or look at me angrily because I disturbed her sleeping, turn around and drift off again), it's not quite the same greeting as you get from dogs.

I have plenty of friends with dogs and as I enter their houses, I'm instantly smothered with so much love and happiness from every one. They run around as if they're constantly grinning and anything can make their day from a delicious treat to a stick that's bigger than the one from the last walk. If you feel sad and enter a house with dogs you'll soon be smiling. Or if you've had a stressful day and head to some open land with a bunch of merry pups, all the stresses will fly away from you.

After I watched this film I really missed all the dogs I know. The ones I go walking with most days and the ones I frequently visit, always happy to see me. The film really pulls on your heart strings and makes you warm to a certain dog and his story. It shows how much they mean to everyone and how important they are in this world. Dogs can bring even the strongest servicemen to tears through the love that they have for one another and that's special.

In America, I've seen some of the cutest dogs going. To be honest I say this about most dogs I see, but then every dog I see is pretty cute. The sniffer dogs standing at work, amazingly intelligent and well trained with a sign attached to them that reads 'DO NOT PET', now that's just cruel. I desperately wanted to pet every one I saw and relieve them from their shift to join me on the rest of my travels. Sadly this couldn't happen and they had to carry on working.

I even saw some rather adorable puppies waiting in the departure gate at JFK international airport and hoped that they'd join us on the flight. I have no idea why they'd be in the departure gate otherwise, but I saw none of them on my flight.

So if you decided that my writing is more important than the film and you're STILL reading, seriously go and watch A Dog's Purpose. Trust me, you won't regret it, you'll just love and appreciate our canine friends that little bit more because they are truly amazing.

I'm gradually turning into more and more of a 'dog person' and feel that's only going to increase.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Now to do what I do best, drink 4 bottles of Chablis and flash my freckly bangers" - The Windsor's

Music grounds you wherever you go.

Merry Fauxmas and a Happy New Year!