Writing & Me

This post is largely inspired by my recent visit to the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam, which as any of you who have been reading my Travel posts will know, really impressed me. Not only was the museum well set out, taking you on a journey through the story of the Jews in the Second World War and this particular family, but the quotes dotted around the place from Anne herself about her writing were also very stimulating.

"The nicest part is being able to write down all my thoughts and feelings, otherwise I'd absolutely suffocate"- Anne Frank


Writing, for Anne, was an escape from her horrific situation into a safer world of her thoughts and feelings. It was a saviour that today provides an insightful glimpse into her experience for the whole world to read. She left her imprint through her writing and, whether this is deemed right or wrong, this is the main thing that I took from my visit.

Writing isn't for everyone, I get that. Not all people enjoy discussing thoughts and inner feelings, but for lots of us it is a bit of a liberator or a way to make our mark on the world. I personally find myself writing all the time, whether I'm physically typing or just in my head. When I'm on a train or in the car, the things I pass, I write them into my life. The people I meet get written in too and I'm constantly thinking how would I write him/her, not what do I think of them, but how they'd be included in a piece.

Writing is my happy place, a place I go to where I can spill everything. If I think my spillage is good, witty, insightful, meaningful, then it'll get published/ posted on my blog. If I think it's too personal, weak or dull, then I'll just keep it for myself. It's a release, a way to polish up and make sense of all my random thoughts that bounce about inside my head all day long. Sometimes I spend hours just reading through things I've written and laughing at my gags, or thinking how much I've grown since I wrote it. It's a record of things I've done or thought through my personal lens and I like sharing this with you. 

I was so pleased to learn that in such dire circumstances and a very sad story, Anne Frank used writing so much as her survival weapon and stability. It made me happy to know that the career I wish to pursue is something that saves people and something that I use every day, enjoyably, as a sort of escape and definitely for my sanity!

Writing is so needed in this world and I love that my dream is to be a part of the massive group of people who provide it. Not everyone will like my style and there are so many sorts of writing out there to choose from, but there certainly is something for everyone. It's within pieces such as Anne Frank's Diary, which is still read and teaching people so many things today, when you realise the true power of the written word, both for the individual writing it and the collective reading it. 

So, if you ever get chance to go to this amazing place with so much to it, please go. I promise, you will learn so much.

And remember...

"All her would-haves are our possibilities"- Emma Thompson



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Now to do what I do best, drink 4 bottles of Chablis and flash my freckly bangers" - The Windsor's

Music grounds you wherever you go.

Merry Fauxmas and a Happy New Year!