Supermarkets

Working in a village shop, my days are filled with conversations from all parts of the spectrum! Some people even try politics and that's when my mind switches off and I focus on the sandwich I'm making! But the other day a lady and I were discussing how nice it is to go into a shop and feel welcomed, actual life and actual meaningful conversation...in comparison to tesco where this simply does not happen (or any supermarket as it stands). 

 You walk in, no "hello there!" Or acknowledgement that you have even entered. They most definitely wouldn't know you by name or even know what you are going to buy. You walk around like zombies, everyone in their own worlds thinking one thing..."what shall I do for tea tonight", focussing on the contents of their cupboards and not taking in their surroundings, (well I suppose their surroundings ARE the contents of their cupboards!) Walking aimlessly past people down the aisles, a few conversations here and there when you meet a friend or are with a friend, maybe a few funny moments when you pronounce an item wrong, or clumsily knock something off the shelf (I am referring to myself here) but other than that, nothing. Even some cashiers you will arrive at and the nothingness stays, although I have to lighten up here as many people working are lovely and full of life. Then there is self checkout, I mean fantastic when you are in a fowl mood, not wanting to speak to anyone, or when you are in such a rush, however have any of you actually considered what a strange setup the whole supermarket experience is?! I hadn't until this conversation the other day, and now I have, so random but so true! Don't get me wrong I LOVE a supermarket, a trip to a place full of food and wine, couldn't ask for more, it's like being in a kitchen with endless opportunities...fancy this, fancy that and right at your fingertips, and everything in one building, truly great invention, however until the other day I hadn't considered the oddness of it all, and now I have, and thought I would share this completely pointless realisation with you all! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Now to do what I do best, drink 4 bottles of Chablis and flash my freckly bangers" - The Windsor's

Music grounds you wherever you go.

Merry Fauxmas and a Happy New Year!