My Australian experience: Melbourne

Having stepped off the plane, we literally thought we had somehow taken a detour back to England. Shivering rapidly, we waited for our luggage OUTSIDE (they could have at least added some warmth to the situation!). When we got to the city the streets were rammed, we were wondering if this was an average Saturday night in Melbourne, but no, white night by name! An annual light display, with art shows with added quirkiness, spreader throughout the city, originally started to get money into the city but the turn out was huge so they carried it on. Anyway, going off tangent...there we were strolling through melbourne at midnight, with our backpacks, in search if our hostel, amongst the drunks. We finally found it and ran straight to our warm beds, at least I thought mine was mine! Until about an hour later when I was patted on the head by a Canadian guy who thought I was his friend (they both had very long hair), turns out apparently I was sleeping in his bed! Goldilocks type moment! I refused to move and he had to go top bunk. Hard life! 

 The day after Saturday was a Sunday (surprise!) and we decided to have our first AUSSIE 'Sunday session'. It was all going well drinking in the sun, until it got to about half 6, my head was starting to spin and we looked around and it was dead, the bottle shops had sold out from the night before and so had, it appeared the bars (and people!). A hilarious moment I do have to mention, although embarrassing, but not the worst I can assure you, was when I needed a wee. Went into the one toilet we could find, "cor stinks in here" I said to my friend " sure it's not the men's?"..."nah, honestly it's unisex there are no other toilets" *man walks in looks at us uneasily and awkwardly smiles, we look around and there is just one cubicle and a bunch of urinals* "YEP, it's the men's" ...oops.

 We went to fix up a bank account for my friend the following day and having seen many tramps on the streets, we recognised most. Some genuine, some complete cons. This particular one was huge, I mean 10 pie and chips a day type huge, and he walked in the bank, arse hanging out, dumped his scabby bed linen at the side (it was a posh bank, too) and went to withdraw some cash. More cash than I had too, and I'm not begging! Ridiculous! We had also heard of a particular street which is the place to go to see good street art, Hosier lane. It definitely lived up to expectations. It was so cool and modern, some of the graffiti was amazing and there were so many people drawing and painting the work. Lunch was something else this day, we decided to treat ourselves as it was our last few days together...I had been dreaming of a chicken parmy for weeks, and my friend, a steak, so, that is exactly what we had and it didn't fail to disappoint! Delicious, with bingo to look forward to that evening, legs eleven! For some unknown reason, we decided to begin the squat challenge after bingo in our dorm, and managed to do 50 before somebody entered! Cor did I feel it the next morning, that's what not doing exercise for as long as I can remember does!


The next day was a complete scorcher! So the best thing to do was, of course, check out St Kilda beach! A nice place, reminded us of a British seaside town, homely. We walked to the pier and in the rocks there were tiny little Penguins. Odd, we both thought they only lived in the South Pole? But anyway, blonde moment! They were cute!
 The rain had arrived by the next day so good job we had planned to visit the aquarium. Stunning, tropical fish swimming around. Sharks and Rays above our heads (never seen a Ray's face before- hilariously adorable!). We carried our journey through to a huge great tank with the biggest thing I've ever seen. A saltwater Crocodile. It looked fake it was so big! Just roaming the tank and probably thinking "I could easily break outta here and snap you up". Definitely wouldn't want to get in a fight with that. Ginormous. After a pretty sweet as film and 60 squats later, it was time for bed! 

 The next day was a sad day, our last day of our travels together before we parted. So, to celebrate the time we have had and to commiserate us parting, we bought a big bag of pic'n'mix (in true 'us' style), and a can of coke and sat by the river! We also had a free meal to look forward to that night! (I swear 99% of our trip has revolved around food). This turned out even better than we thought, the free meal was dominos!!!! And we said our farewells. It has been a trip of a lifetime. Next stop early AM tomorrow, Adelaide!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Now to do what I do best, drink 4 bottles of Chablis and flash my freckly bangers" - The Windsor's

Music grounds you wherever you go.

Merry Fauxmas and a Happy New Year!