My Australian experience: Airlie beach and the Whitsunday Islands

  After a 2 hour flight up the coast of the same country (there is no such thing as 'popping' to anywhere in Oz!), we arrived, with beautiful sunshine and heat welcoming us with a smile. A taxi waiting outside to  take us to our apartments all seemed well and good until we climbed inside to find that we had to endure a 30 minute journey listening to possibly the two dumbest English girls, about my age, who were "travelling" but clearly not in my backpacking, find the cheapest accommodation and decide between food or beer each day, sense of the word! Are you with me? Yes, they came out with some corkers! On the way, we passed some sugar cane, and the driver pointed out that is where a lot of the sugar is produced for this area..."OH MY GOD, does sugar come from this far away all the time?", piped up the brown haired, big Boobed, bimbo..."no, mainly the Middle East", her friend chirped in ( and the whole time I'm thinking BURY ST EDMUNDS SUGAR BEAT FACTORY) " how do you even know that?" "Oh" she said smugly, " a friend at work" !! And that is only one of the ridiculous things they came out with! Joey Essex, eat your heart out!
 But anyway, we arrived at our luxury apartment, courtesy of papa Mills, who only settles for the best! The most beautiful view and Cockatoo after Cockatoo, EVERYWHERE. 

Day 2. I was dreading it, but also excited, when it finally came- SKYDIVE DAY! And over Airlie beach and the Great Barrier Reef, I mean there couldn't be a better place to do it! On the way up in the plane I must admit I was bricking it! It didn't help that my instructor found I hilarious to wind me up..."just pull that red lever Harriet" *pulls red lever doesn't realise it opens the door and that he was joking- oops*!! But I made it up to the top in the plane ( which was scary enough), and yep, I jumped, 12,000ft, out of a plane! Why?! I didn't know at the time, believe me I asked myself that over and over, but now I know, it was to get the most incredible feeling of actually flying like a bird, and seeing THE most amazing and beautiful view!

 Day 3 was spent mostly coming to terms with the fact that I actually did it! And also a spot of sunbathing on the beautiful beaches- no swimming though, Box Jellyfish alert!!

 Day 4. Great Barrier Reef - something to tick off the bucket list! Whilst snorkeling, I saw the most beautiful and colourful fish, some big, some tiny. And there was me distinguishing them all in terms of the characters in 'Finding Nemo' (I assume everybody else was doing the same!) The coral itself was a picture as well. It was just an experience like no other! A spot of sunbathing on top deck, and a ride in a glass bottom sub, made it the perfect day. I have no other words than simply amazing! 

Day 5. Our first experience of tropical rain. All day long and extra heavy! Good job we had planned sea activities else it would have sucked! The sea was like a bath! In order to warm up, it was the place to be followed by a traditional AUSSIE barbie on the beach. More snorkeling and more beautifully coloured fish of all sorts of shapes and size...until the jellyfish arrived! QUICK EVERYBODY OUT!!! And home we went. Hot shower, bite to eat, splash to drink, and bed. Next stop - the jungle!!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Now to do what I do best, drink 4 bottles of Chablis and flash my freckly bangers" - The Windsor's

Merry Fauxmas and a Happy New Year!

"My aspiration in life is to be happy"