My Australian Experience : The Jungle (Daintree)

  An hour flight from Hamilton Island to Cairns,brought us to our shiny, silver 4X4 which was taking us to the jungle! After we had listened to the typical Aussie accent "turn right, mate"for 2 hours, we too a short pit-stop at Mossman Gorge, where our Aboriginal guide, Rosie, was to show us around the Rain-forest (among the bugs!) It really was very interesting and she had a good sense of humour, which made it a whole lot more fun- a very inspirational lady indeed. She gave us 5 philosophies of life, of which I have forgotten all (memory like a fish),however she did keep telling us to LOVE and BE STRONG!

 So... we arrived and walked among the trees to our cabin. 3 bunk beds and a double inside effectively a marque with walls, covered in mesh- basically a big mosquito net! All beds were surrounded by a mosquito net as well, which seemed daunting at first (me being the complete paranoid fool that I am), but became quite cosy, away from the wretched bugs! In the corner of the shower, there was a huge fury black thing, of which I wasn't quite sure if it was a huge spider, or just some fungi...and I didn't particularly want to find out either! Certainly a different view and setting to luxury paradise of Airlie beach! No access to wi-fi or phone signal, nothing. Just us and the wilderness. IT was pretty cool, although I did want to get in touch with people back home to let the know I was safe, as I was pretty worried for myself-Crocs, spiders, snakes, you name it! However, after a quick drink and bite to eat in a very country pub, I crept into my mozzie net, kept thinking "if Joey Essex can do this, then so can I", and fell fast asleep.

  Apart from the huge rain storm waking me at stupid AM, I survived my first night in the jungle! Day two, we saw the forest from high and low- a 23 meter tower down to the ground,it was amazing, the oldest rain forest in the world and simply just beautiful.To the point where I was no longer finding spiders and Pythons scary, but cool, both of which just chilling in the wilderness- incredible. Then for the scary part of the day, a boat trip along Daintree river on a croc hunt! And sure as hell did we see one! The eldest in the river, 100 years old and 5 meters long- he wasn't fussed about us (THANK GOD) no snapping (PHEW!). Back to camp, and we spied two Lizards (Boyds Forest Dragons to be specific) running along the forest floor- HILARIOUS! They didn't just run, they ran like headless chickens on hind legs, or what reminded me of drunk lads on tour when they find the next pub at the end of the bar crawl! Flashing in the distance, there were a few Fireflies, which literally look as though someone is flashing a torch. So cool. So there we have it, day two in the jungle= SURVIVED.

Day 3 came with a bit of a surprise- the natural tap had been well ad truly turned on! There is no other way to describe it apart from it completely pissed it down! No wonder where the name comes from- RAINforest! Having done and seen so much the day before, and because it was the rest of m clans last day in Oz (ha ha!), after breakfast we said so long to the Mosquitoes and headed to Cairns.Where the next leg of my journey will begin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Now to do what I do best, drink 4 bottles of Chablis and flash my freckly bangers" - The Windsor's

Merry Fauxmas and a Happy New Year!

"My aspiration in life is to be happy"